Spotify is one of the most popular music streaming services available today. With millions of users, it’s clear that this platform is a favorite among many when it comes to online music streaming. One of the features that Spotify offers its users is the ability to see recently listened to tracks and playlists. However, this feature might not appeal to everyone. Maybe you want your music choices to be private, or perhaps you want a clean slate on your account. Whatever the reason, this article will guide you through the process of removing recently listened to on Spotify.
Before getting started, you will need to have a Spotify account. If you don’t have one yet, you can easily create a free one. Additionally, you will need access to the web app or mobile app, depending on which device you prefer to use to listen to music.
What Requires Your Focus?
Removing recently listened to on Spotify is a straightforward process. However, it requires some attention to detail to make sure you don’t end up doing the wrong thing. Make sure to follow each step carefully to avoid any unintended actions.
Different Methods to Remove Recently Listened to on Spotify
Method 1: Clearing Recently Played
Firstly, you can choose the simple option of clearing your recently played tracks manually. Here’s how:
1. Open the Spotify app and go to the "Your Library" tab.
2. Select "Recently Played," located below your Top Podcasts and Playlists.
3. Find the recently played track you want to delete and swipe left on it.
4. You should see a "Remove" option. Tap on it.
5. If you want to delete all recently played tracks, between the first and the last couple of tracks, you can simply tap the "Clear" button located in the top-right corner.
• Easy to do, especially if you only want to remove specific tracks.
• No need to install any third-party apps or software.
• This method can only remove recently played tracks one by one or by clearing all of them at once.
• It doesn’t tackle the issue of hiding the activity from other users, it only erases the activity from the local device.
Method 2: Use a Third-Party App
Another option is to use a third-party app that removes Spotify playlists and tracks from your history. This method provides a quick and easy way to remove the recently played items from your history. While there are several apps available that claim to remove Spotify history, here is one that many users have found beneficial:
1. Search for the app "Clear Browsing Data" on your device’s app store.
2. Download and launch the app.
3. Locate “Spotify” from the list of apps available and enable the checkbox next to it.
4. Now that you’ve enabled Spotify, you can click “clear history” and wait for the app to do its work.
• Can remove Spotify searched items, played music, and created playlists.
• No need to go through the manual deletion process, it can handle large lists.
• Some third-party apps can be malicious or unsafe to use.
• Be careful while granting apps—some of them may want too many permissions.
Method 3: Create a New Spotify Account
Another way to remove recently played tracks is to create a new Spotify account. Setting up a new account means starting with no listening history, collections, or playlists. Ensure you have a new email address and username that you can use for the new account.
1. Log out of your Spotify account.
2. Navigate to Spotify’s homepage, and select the Sign Up button to create a new account.
3. Follow the prompts to sign up and enter your new account details.
4. If you want to listen to your saved songs from your prior account, carefully export them to a CSV file and import them in on the new account (if there aren’t too many).
5. Start a new listening journey without your past history following you around.
• Complete privacy with your new Spotify profile, without concern about any previous searches or situations.
• It is a good option if the account does not contain numerous playlists or saved songs.
• It requires setting up a new account with a new email address and profile.
• You’ll lose all current playlists, followed artists, and podcast subscriptions on the previous account.
Why Can’t I Remove Recently Listened to on Spotify?
There may be various reasons why you find it impossible to remove recently played tracks from your account. Here are some possible issues and their fixes:
1. Difficulty accessing the “Recently Played” Tab
A likely reason why you can’t remove recently played tracks is due to difficulty in accessing the "Recently Played" section in the Spotify app. Firstly, ensure that you are using the latest version of the app and that you have an active Spotify subscription. Alternatively, you can reset your phone’s clock and try the process again.
2. Incorrect Login Details
Another possible reason why some users can’t remove recently played items is when their login details are incorrect. If you face this issue, try resetting your account password from the Spotify login page or performing the process on another browser.
3. Account Settings
In some cases, users can’t remove recently played tracks due to a change in account settings. If you find yourself unable to control what appears in your Spotify history, check on the settings or contact the support team for assistance.
5 FAQs about Removing Recently Listened to on Spotify
Q1: Can I remove specific playlists or individual tracks from my playback history?
A: Yes. Follow the steps listed under Method 1 to remove specific tracks from your playback history.
Q2: What do I do when clearing my recently played tracks doesn’t work?
A: Make sure to use an up-to-date version of the application, and consider logging off and re-logging in.
Q3: Should I use third party apps to remove my playback history?
A: Yes, some third party Spotify cleanup apps, such as "Clear Browsing Data," can be efficient and safe for use. However, make sure not to provide any additional information than required while granting permissions.
Q4: What happens to my saved playlists when I create a new Spotify account?
A: You will lose all your saved playlists, followed artists, and podcast subscriptions when you create a new account.
Q5: How long does it take for my playback history to disappear?
A: Once you complete the necessary steps, your playback history will disappear almost immediately.
As you can see from the different methods provided, removing recently played tracks from Spotify is easier than you think. Whether you prefer to use the manual method through the app or would instead use third-party apps, there’s a method for everyone. Whatever approach you decide on, be sure to follow the steps carefully. This way, you can be confident that your recently played tracks are removed, and your music history remains private.