Spotify is one of the most popular music streaming services, and it is available on multiple devices. The app has become more accessible and user-friendly with its recent updates, but one problem remains – Spotify automatically starts up on Macs when the system boots. Many Mac users would rather not have Spotify launch at startup, especially if they do not use the app frequently. If you are one of these users, this blog post will guide you through several solutions for how to stop Spotify from opening on startup Mac.
Why You Need to Stop Spotify from Opening on Startup Mac
Spotify is convenient to have up and running in the background if you use it frequently, but it can be a pain for users that don’t use it often. It automatically opens when a user’s Mac starts up, which can be annoying if you are just trying to quickly complete a task on your computer. Having too many applications running in the background can also slow down your Mac’s performance and battery life, which is another reason why you should stop Spotify from opening on startup Mac. Below are some methods to help you solve this problem.
Method 1: Using Login Items
If you want to prevent Spotify from launching upon booting up your Mac, you can disable it in User & Groups under System Preferences. Here’s how:
1. Go to the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
2. Click on “System Preferences” and then “Users & Groups.”
3. Choose your user account from the left pane and click on the “Login Items” tab.
4. Find Spotify in the list of login items and click on the checkbox next to it to deselect it.
5. Click on the “-” button at the bottom of the list to remove Spotify from the login items entirely.
6. Close the “Users & Groups” window and restart your Mac.
– Easy to use and quick to implement.
– Prevents Spotify from launching on startup, which can help with Mac performance and battery life.
– May need to go through this process again if Spotify is updated or re-installed.
Method 2: Setting up Spotify Preferences
Another easy way to prevent Spotify from opening on startup Mac is to adjust preferences within the app itself. Here’s how:
1. Launch the Spotify app and click on the “Spotify” menu in the menu bar.
2. Click on “Preferences” to open the app’s settings.
3. Under “Startup and Window Behaviour,” click on the dropdown menu next to “Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer” and select “No.”
4. Close the Spotify preferences window and quit the app.
5. Restart your Mac to complete the process.
– Provides more control over Spotify preferences than Method 1.
– Also helps with Mac performance and battery life.
– May need to repeat these steps if Spotify is updated or re-installed.
Method 3: Using Terminal to Disable Spotify Startup
If the first two methods do not work for you, you can also use Terminal to disable Spotify’s startup setting. Here’s how:
1. Open Terminal, which can be found in Applications > Utilities.
2. Type the command "open ~/Library/" and hit enter. This will open a folder with several directories.
3. Find the folder named “LaunchAgents” and double-click on it to open.
4. Search for “com.spotify.webhelper.plist” or “com.spotify.webhelper.useragent.plist” files in the folder and delete them.
5. Restart your Mac and Spotify should no longer open.
– Works even if the previous methods do not.
– Gives advanced users more control over their computer’s startup processes.
– Terminal commands can be confusing and intimidating for some users.
– A mistake in typing commands can cause unintended consequences for other settings.
What to Do If You Can’t Stop Spotify from Opening on Startup Mac
If you’ve tried all the previous methods and Spotify still launches when you start up your Mac, there may be an issue with your system settings or app. Here are some things to try:
1. Check for macOS updates and, if needed, update your operating system to the latest version.
2. Reinstall the Spotify app and attempt to stop it from opening again using one of the methods above.
3. Check for system errors or performance issues by using the Disk Utility app (Applications > Utilities).
4. Request assistance from Apple Support or the Spotify Support team.
If you still want to keep Spotify as a login item without it automatically opening, you can hold the Shift key when logging in. This will temporarily disable all login items, including Spotify.
Q1: What if I want to re-enable Spotify’s startup setting?
A: If you disabled Spotify from opening upon startup using any of the three methods above, you can enable it again by changing the respective setting. You can either check the Spotify box in the Login Items tab or selecting “Yes” in the app’s preferences.
Q2: Will disabling Spotify’s startup setting affect the app’s notifications?
A: No, disabling Spotify from opening on startup Mac will not affect the notifications you receive from the app.
Q3: Can I apply these methods to other apps?
A: Yes. The three methods above can be applied to other apps that automatically launch on startup.
Q4: Does the "Shift" trick work with other login items?
A: Yes. Holding the Shift key while logging in temporarily disables all login items, not just Spotify.
Q5: Will disabling Spotify’s startup setting affect the app’s performance?
A: No, disabling the app from launching on startup should not significantly affect its performance.
Spotify is a fantastic app for music lovers, but it doesn’t need to launch automatically every time you start your Mac. These methods can help you prevent Spotify from opening on startup, which can help with the performance and battery life of your Mac. Try these solutions to see which one works best for you, and enjoy more control over your Mac’s startup processes.